Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How we came to homeschool



I have had a busy day, but I wanted to post something. I now have more laundry to fold than one should be legally allowed. I don't think it will be in the Spring issue, but the Old Schoolhouse Magazine asked for stories of how God led us to homeschool. I did and this is our story:

When my husband and I were first saved we had a 9 month old. The more I got involved in our youth group the more I remembered about school. I was only 20 then, but it seemed like I had forgotten all about what school was like. I kept hearing stories from the teens and began recalling my own memories of school, all the way through. Just before my oldest daughter turned 2 we had our second daughter. I knew in my heart that God wanted me to homeschool. My husband thought I was crazy at first. They were so young he never really even thought about school. I researched quite a bit and found out that more people homeschooled than I thought. Our 3rd child, a son, was born 23 months after our 2nd. I had kind of put my ideas of homeschooling on the backburner since I was a little busy with 3 children -all 4 and under. In the spring I began to have anxiety about the whole thing. I called my husband and told him we should enroll our 1st child in school. There was no way I could homeschool now. Surprisingly, my husband told me "God is calling us to homeschool Angela. He is going to give you the strength to do it. He didn't change His mind. You did."
That was a huge thing to me. He was right, but also, he was behind homeschooling! I went to the state conference and walked around alot. I heard speakers, and even though they were great, in the book fair is where I regained faith. I randomly talked to moms at different curriculum booths. I would just start a conversation and ask questions. They were all so good to take time to answer my questions. By the end of the weekend I had a curriculum picked out, thanks to some overtime in the prayer department, and we have homeschooled ever since! Our curriculum has changed, we've moved twice, had another baby, but one thing has stayed the same. The vision God gave us for our family! We are in the second half of our 6th year now. We have a 5th grader, 3rd grader, 1st grader, and a preschooler. 2 girls 2 boys. It isn't always easy, but God has given me the strength and the courage to do this everyday. My kids love it and we wouldn't trade it for anything!

Proverbs 4:1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.



Blessings :)

No comments: