Friday, February 27, 2009

Lent

Ok. I have to be honest. Sometimes Lent scares me. No, really. I always fear what I'm about to give up. This year is already different though. I know what you're saying..."Lent started two days ago". I know...But it's all in the approach. I have given up my online social network. I felt that I spent entirely too much time checking my account and sending odd gifts to friends. I know this because I have 4 children and I find time to send my friend in Maine a jar of pickles online, yet I say I don't have time to really get into the word or to read a good book. (Now I'm not saying it's wrong to do this, I was just spending way too much time doing it!)

Well, the reason that I feel so good going into this is that I have changed my prospective. I have stopped thinking about what I have to give up and started thinking about what to take on. At service Wednesday night our pastor told us as we give something up, take something Godly on. Random Acts of Kindness, more prayer, more time in the Word... you get my point. It has really changed how I have felt and freed up my time. Now I have more time to spend in the Word of God. The kids and I are doing this great Lent study every morning that I got for free from www.HomeschoolFreebieoftheDay.com. (They have the best stuff!) Everyday we are studying and learning more about Christ. I was so selfish in how I spent my time. I don't want Lent to end. I made time for what I wanted to make time for, not for the most important thing in my life. My Savior.

No comments: